– MADISON Opera Patika 2012 –
Andrassy ut 26
Luxury is a drug.
The pharmacy Opera Patika, located close to the Opera, is protected cultural heritage in Budapest; Part of the former pharmacy is part of this shop. Typical architectural elements of a traditional pharmacy used for MADISON – Opera Patika:
– Symmetry: In the façade as well as the interior. It communicates importance, solidity and trust.
Maybe due to the fact that their products in the wrong quantity or prescription could be poisonous…..
– Repetition = organization. In order to communicate calmness, as most pharmacy clients probably would enter feeling worried, your ‘problem’ can and will be solved.
So all present elements repeat themselves at least once.
– One central desk around which the pharmacy unfolds
– Small and Magnum: Successful pharmacists showed off. There is a huge heritage in pharmaceutical glassware and ceramics, where one clearly sees the development of basic jars becoming very luxurious ones developing into huge sizes. The first Magnum bottles!
Other remarkable objects are the quite voluminous glass containers filled with colored water that would be exhibited, often again coming in pairs and displayed symmetrically in the pharmacist’s windows. I used this contrast in proportion architecturally as well as in the detailing.